Situations and challenges that academic leaders face to nowadays travel with the speed of light. At the same time it seems that the methods we are using to develop academic leaders are staying the same.
Most of managers are developed from learning by doing, training and coaching. These elements stay important but they are not developing them enough or in the right direction to match the competencies they need now, let go of the near future.
Experts say: the challenge is no longer the question what good leadership look like, it is a development challenge that is a process of how to grow “bigger’ minds.
Managers have to become experts on the “what” of leadership, but novices in the “how” of their own development. In the future academic leadership development should focus on:
– Each leader owns development.
– The “what” and “how” of leadership development.
– Shared leadership in the network.
This conference will zoom in on these and many other questions. What is your opinion? Please open your mind and share your opinions, ideas and thesis.
• What is going well?
• What do you think we should be doing more of in terms of developing leaders?
• What should we be doing less of, stop doing or phase out?
• Where do you see the future of academic leadership headed?